Thursday, March 16, 2017

EVALUATION



  • How have you used formal elements such as line, tone, colour and shape?
  • What materials did you use, and why? Did they work successfully?
  • What meaning and messages did you want to convey and were you successful?
  • Are you happy with your final piece? Are there any elements you like in particular?
  • Is there anything you would change? Why?

This animation has been easier for me to produce because of my increasing experience using Photoshop timeline, using key commands and selection tools to transform the drawings and speed up the colouring process but also the drafting of line work.

Now that I have found a sustainable method for animating on Photoshop, I feel that need to process my research and experimental stages more and create better designs for the animating stage, instead of improvising the character and/or environmental designs during the production stage. I should produce ideas and experiment with concept art and more reference sheets, creating better and more streamline like character designs and environmental drawings for reproduction in animation.

The formal elements in my animation are mainly a type of generic modern media, using all digital elements such as bold black outlines which only contain basic detail and bold fill colouring with little to no tonnage only in the background environment. The colouring does describe the environment and characters well, though there was limited tonnage on the interior of the restaurant compared to the into outside at the entrance. 

There is also no tonnage on the characters and they both use bold coloured sections and this might communicate the wrong feeling for textures, especially on the dragon compared to the warrior, using only the bold outlines to describe his hard horns and scales. Limiting the detail for the audience, they could assume the dragon has soft skin like the warrior without the outlines around his scaly features. 

The aspects I like about my character designs are their individual personalities and ability to explore different characteristics when combined in a story, the warrior and dragon ironically have opposite personality traits, in every response to a scenario, this opposing relationship is a very humorous combination because it's something we can relate too and understand, even the not so obvious sarcastic remarks in conversation. These messages I had panned for the audience to pick up on around plot points that then related later on in the final stages of the animation. These humorous messages I have conveyed I think are successful because there is no backing features, as I can confidently animate the scene and structure the plot points knowing that the audience will pick up on these funny plot points. 

Overall I feel that this animation is well structured as a final piece but maybe the research and experimentation could have been stronger so that I wouldn't need to refine the character designs later on in the production process. In particular there isn't anything I would change expect the production process when drawing the characters in the development stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment